Terms and Conditions
STORY BOX LIBRARY – TERMS AND CONDITIONS
(Last updated 8 January 2020)
Story Box Library Pty Ltd (ACN 165 506 567) of PO Box 292, Elwood, Victoria 3184, Australia (“Story Box Library”) provides this website http://www.storyboxlibrary.com.au together with all related relevant domains (the “Website”) subject to the following provisions (the “Terms and Conditions”).
Please read and consider these Terms and Conditions very carefully, as they detail your agreement with Story Box Library whether as a visitor (“Visitor”) or registered, paid subscriber (“Subscriber”) of the Website (with Visitors and Subscribers collectively referred to as “you”, “your” and/or “User/s”).
Before continuing, please note that Visitors to the Website are granted limited free access to the Website and the content featured on the Website for the purposes of deciding whether to become a Subscriber, but are still required to comply with these Terms and Conditions where relevant.
If you become a Subscriber, you will be able to access various storytelling segments from our library of Australian stories read by Australian voices, accompanied by other materials.
For further information regarding the different kinds of Subscription categories available through the Website and the associated fees, see our Subscriptions page.
On the above understanding, it is hereby agreed between you and Story Box Library that:
1. ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- By accessing or using this Website and its storytelling segments, documentaries, content and information (the “Content”) and/or registering as a Subscriber of Story Box Library, you accept these Terms and Conditions and acknowledge and agree that you are entering into a legally binding contract with Story Box Library.
- The term of these Terms and Conditions shall commence at the time you acknowledge your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions in accordance with Section 1) (a) above and/or register as a Subscriber of the Website, and shall continue unless cancelled or terminated by either you or Story Box Library in accordance with the provisions of these Terms and Conditions (the “Term”).
- You acknowledge that when you register as a Subscriber, you will be required to provide relevant personal information to ensure that you subscribe to the correct Subscription category via Story Box Library’s online sign-up form (the “Specified Information”) and you agree to provide full, complete and accurate Specified Information, as required by Story Box Library.
- The rules and conditions detailed on the Website, including without limitation on our Subscriptions page will form part of these Terms and Conditions, and Users shall at all times uphold any requirements listed therein.
2. TRIAL PERIOD:
- Story Box Library may offer Visitors “trial periods” for an applicable period, determined at the sole discretion of Story Box Library, for little or no charge (see our Subscriptions page).
- The User’s use of the Website during any trial period will be governed by these Terms and Conditions as if the User was a Subscriber as prescribed by these Terms and Conditions.
3. SUBSCRIPTION AND BENEFITS:
- Visitors will have limited access to the Website and the Content, with access (if any) to be determined wholly at the discretion of Story Box Library.
- Subscribers will have access to the Website and the Content, with the nature of access to be determined according to the type of Subscription purchased.
- There are a variety of different subscription categories and fee structures (altogether, “Subscriptions”) that apply to use of the Website and Content, depending on whether you are applying for a:
- Single Use Family Subscription – personal use by one account holder, where use is not in an educational setting (“Family Subscriber”);
- Single Use Professional Subscription – use by an individual in a classroom or educational setting (“Professional Subscriber”);
- Multiple Use School and Early Childhood Subscription – use by multiple account holders in a classroom or educational setting (“School/EC Subscriber”);
- Multiple use Tertiary Subscription – use by multiple account holders in a tertiary educational setting (“Tertiary Subscriber”); and
- Multiple use Public Library Subscription – use by multiple account holders in a library setting or otherwise in a non-educational setting (“Public Library”).
- The price of your Subscription will vary depending on the type of Subscriber you are.
- If you are a School/EC Subscriber, a Tertiary Subscriber, the price of your Subscription will be calculated on the number of current students and/or type of your school or organisation.
- If you are a Public Library Subscriber, the price of your Subscription will be calculated on the population of the area that the Public Library services (including the populations of any associate entities, subsidiaries or affiliate organisations if such entities are included in the Subscription).
- All Subscribers will have access to stream and view the Content via the Website for personal purposes during the Term of the Subscription.
- Professional Subscribers, School/EC Subscribers and Tertiary Subscribers that will be entitled to use the Website for non-commercial educational purposes during the Term of the Subscription.
- Subscribers agree to only access the Website and Content for the purposes prescribed by the subscription category for which they have registered or have authorised access. If a subscriber wishes to use the Website or Content for a purpose not permitted by their subscription category or authorised access, they must register separately for the relevant subscription category that permits their intended use (if any).
- Subscribers agree that their Subscription applications may be verified by Story Box Library or its Representatives from time to time, to ensure that they are valid and for School/EC Subscribers and Public Library/Tertiary Subscribers that they are approved by the relevant associated organisation.
4. SCHOOL/EC, TERTIARY AND PUBLIC LIBRARY SUBSCRIPTIONS:
- If you are registering for or on behalf of an organisation or entity with multiple campuses, branches, affiliates or subsidiaries, including without limitation, early childhood centres, kindergartens or pre-schools, the rights of the Subscriber only extend to the nominated and expressly approved campuses, branches, affiliates and/or subsidiaries.
- If you are registering as a Public Library, then the rights of the Subscriber do extend to its members and subscribers strictly for their personal use by validly accessing the Subscription within the library or privately, but do not extend to associate entities, subsidiaries or affiliate organisations, unless requested by the Subscriber and approved by Story Box Library. The Subscriber must promptly update Story Box Library about any updates or changes to the associate entities, subsidiaries or affiliate organisations to which a Subscription extends.
- Subject to (d) below, if you are registering a Subscriber for or on behalf of a peak organisation, industry body or government or departmental organisation, then the rights of that Subscriber do not extend to its members, subscribers, associates, subsidiaries or affiliate organisations, unless requested by the Subscriber and approved by Story Box Library. The Subscriber must promptly update Story Box Library about any updates or changes to the organisation, body or department to which a Subscription extends.
- In the instance that a Subscriber does not specify the relevant school, campus, branch, public library or entity to which the rights conferred by their Subscription apply, Story Box Library shall, at its sole discretion, be entitled to determine the extent of the Subscription conferred by these Terms and Conditions, and/or immediately terminate, suspend or restrict the Subscription of the relevant Subscriber.
- Registration as Public Library Subscriber is only available for recreational use on a personal basis (meaning that usage will be limited to personal use by public library members either within the public library or by validly accessing the Subscription privately).
- Public Library Subscribers and School/EC Subscribers acknowledge and agree that Story Box Library may not directly manage their Subscriptions, and that an authorised Story Box Library representative (“Representative”) may manage Subscriptions on behalf of Story Box Library. The current Representative are as follows:
- for Public Library Subscribers – James Bennett Pty Ltd (ABN 17 000 465 127); and
- for all new Australian School Subscribers – Lamont Books (Aust) Pty Ltd (ABN 37 053 311 621).
- If the Representatives change from time to time, Story Box Library will notify Subscribers by, amongst other things, updating these Terms and Conditions.
- Public Library Subscribers acknowledge and agree that Story Box Library’s Representative will assume all entitlements and responsibilities of Story Box Library, as prescribed by these Terms and Conditions.
5. FAMILY AND PROFESSIONAL SUBSCRIPTIONS:
- Registration as a Family Subscriber is only available for use on a personal basis (meaning that usage will be limited to a family’s private use).
- Registration as a Professional Subscriber is available for individuals only, for teaching or educational purposes (meaning that usage will be limited to educational use by one individual subscriber).
- Educators must register as Professional Subscribers to access Content in an educational setting. Educators may not use their access via alternative subscription categories (for example, via their Public Library Subscription, if any) to access Content in an educational setting.
- If you acknowledge and agree that if you are registering as a Professional Subscriber, you will be entitled to access the Website and the Content in an educational setting, but you will not be entitled to grant access to your Subscription to any other person, organisation or entity.
- Family or Professional Subscribers will not be able to concurrently login to the Website or access the Content from more than one location or device using the same Subscription details and password. For the avoidance of doubt, Users wishing to do so will be required to purchase a School/EC, Tertiary or Public Library Subscription.
- If you are registering on behalf of a school, company, library, organisation or any group, or you are a professional educator intending to use your Subscription at an early childhood centre, school or tertiary institution, you acknowledge and accept that you must register as a Professional, School/EC, Tertiary and/or Public Library Subscriber as appropriate.
6. SUBSCRIPTION TERM AND CANCELLATION:
- Family Subscribers and Professionals Subscribers acknowledge and agree that their Subscription will renew automatically, either monthly or annually (as elected by the Subscriber), until the Subscriber validly cancels or suspends the Subscription by notifying Story Box Library or its Representatives as relevant.
- To cancel or suspend a Subscription, Family Subscribers and Professionals Subscribers must notify Story Box Library by logging into your online account and managing your Subscription in Account Settings– Subscriptions may be suspended and/or re-activated in Account Settings. Alternatively, Family Subscribers and Professional Subscribers may contact us for further assistance with suspending or cancelling a Subscription (via email or post as per the details under the Contacting Us section).
- Cancellation or suspension will take effect at the beginning of the subsequent billing cycle.
- Family Subscribers and Professionals Subscribers acknowledge and agree that Story Box Library will not refund you for any part of a Subscription price prior to cancellation or suspension taking effect in accordance with this section.
- School/EC, Tertiary and Public Library Subscribers acknowledge and agree that you cannot opt for automatic renewals. We will contact you to renew your Subscription, or you may notify Story Box Library or the applicable Representative (if relevant) in writing if you wish to renew your Subscription at the end of the annual Subscription term.
- You acknowledge and accept that Story Box Library may, from time to time, make certain storytelling segments and/or associated Content available for viewing at no cost, including to non-Subscribers of the Website.
- In consideration for your registration as a Subscriber, use of the Website and access to the Content, you agree to pay Story Box Library (or its Representative, as relevant) the applicable fee as detailed on the Subscriptions page of the Website (the “Fee”).
- Once paid, the Fee is non-refundable, unless a refund would be required by law.
- For Family and Professional Subscribers, the Fee will be due and payable at the time you register as a Subscriber of the Website and accept these Terms and Conditions.
- Story Box Library accepts payment for Family and Professional Subscribers online via Stripe accounts subject to Stripe’s terms and conditions (we are not responsible for any losses, claims, damages or consequences due to Stripe’s terms and conditions or for any interruptions or delays in Stripe’s services or facilities).
- By subscribing, Family Subscribers and Professional Subscribers opt for automatic renewal. You acknowledge that at the conclusion of each subscription period (either monthly or annual, as elected by you), Story Box Library will be entitled to renew your Subscription and charge a further monthly/annual Fee to your nominated account, unless you opt out or cancel your Subscription prior to the conclusion of your Subscription term.
- For Tertiary Subscribers and any School/EC Subscribers and Public Library Subscribers, the Fee will be due and payable to Story Box Library within thirty (30) days of us issuing you an invoice. Story Box Library accepts cheque payments, direct deposit and international electronic transfers.
- For School/EC Subscribers and Public Library Subscribers, the Fee will be due and payable to the applicable Representative in accordance with the reasonable payment terms as specified by that Representative.
- Upon full receipt of the Fee and approval of your Subscription application, Story Box Library will activate your Subscription.
- Story Box Library may from time to time, at its absolute discretion, agree in writing to accept payment of the Fee in arrears, in which case its agreement to do so shall in no way waive or vary its rights or your obligations under these Terms and Conditions, including Story Box Library’s right to review its decision and require future payment of the Fee in advance.
- In the instance that Story Box Library does accept payment in arrears, you agree that your Subscription application may be listed as “inactive” until the Specified Information, including your billing information provided by you can be verified and approved – only when this information is verified and approved will you become a Subscriber with full access to the Content. Your Subscription may lapse, at our full discretion, if we do not receive or are unable to verify your Specified Information or if your Subscription Fee is not paid in accordance with this section.
- Unless expressly agreed otherwise by Story Box Library, the Fees or other sums payable or consideration to be provided under or in accordance with these Terms and Conditions are exclusive of GST (having the same meaning it has in A New Tax System (Goods and Services Tax) Act 1999(Cth) (the “GST Act”).
- If a party makes a taxable supply (as understood under the GST Act) under or in connection with these Terms and Conditions, you will pay to Story Box Library at the same time, and in addition to the GST-exclusive consideration, an amount equal to the GST payable on that supply.
- Story Box Library will give you a tax invoice in relation to the payment of GST under this section.
9. GIFT VOUCHERS:
- At this time, Story Box Library offers gift vouchers for Family Subscriptions only.
- Gift vouchers may be purchased on the Website, and can either be sent to the recipient via email or in print.
- The recipient of the gift voucher will have three years to sign up to their one (1) year Family Subscription using the sixteen alphanumeric code provided in the voucher.
- The Family Subscription will expire one (1) year from the date that the recipient activates their account, and the gift voucher recipient will need to sign up for a new Subscription if they wish to continue accessing the Website and Content.
10. PROHIBITED CONDUCT:
- You acknowledge and agree that under no circumstances will you (or any individual using your Subscription) engage in any of the following conduct, all of which is strictly prohibited:
- use the Content for any purpose outside the terms of the licence provided under these Terms and Conditions;
- access the Website or the Content using a subscription that is not approved or permitted in that subscription category;
- download, copy, record, adapt, distribute or re-transmit any or all of the Website or the Content;
- use any data-mining, tracking technology, robots, code or similar data gathering or extraction methods on any part of the Website or in relation to the Content;
- manipulate or otherwise display the Website or Content by using framing or other similar navigational technology;
- infringe or breach any applicable laws or regulations in using or accessing the Website or the Content;
- make the Content available to more users than are permitted or contemplated under your particular Subscription;
- use the Website or Content for any other purpose other than its intended purpose, including, but not limited to, sale of access to the Website or Content; use of the Website or Content to gain advertising or subscription revenue; sale of advertising on the Website or any third party Website; use of the Website or Content for any non-approved commercial purpose; use of the Website, the Content, or related resources for the purposes of competing with or displacing the market for Story Box Library;
- use the Website or Content for any purpose reasonably considered objectionable by Story Box Library, including, but not limited to, use of the Website for any obscene, discriminatory, abusive, violent, sexually explicit, defamatory, vilifying, prejudicial, inaccurate, or otherwise inappropriate purpose; or
- providing, linking or uploading material that contains any nudity, or any obscene, violent, harassing, sexually explicit, defamatory, offensive, vilifying, prejudicial, inaccurate, inappropriate or other objectionable subject matter.
- If you become aware of misuse of the Website by any person, please contact Story Box Library (per the details under the Contacting Us section).
11. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY:
- All Content, information and material, including, text, graphics, logos, audio and video recordings (including their underlying works), software and the Website are the intellectual property of Story Box Library, or have been properly licensed by Story Box Library for the purpose of operating the Website and subscription service. All such materials are protected by national and international laws of copyright, trade mark, design, moral rights and similar laws related to the protection of intellectual property.
- The rights in the name “Story Box Library”, its logo, trade marks and all related intellectual property are owned and expressly reserved by Story Box Library.
- You acknowledge and accept that use of the Content and the Website is limited to the specific, limited usage provided under these Terms and Conditions and on the Website, which covers the private and educational transmission of the Content for approved purposes, and that notwithstanding this, you may still require separate licences covering the works and/or sound recordings, incorporated in and/or underlying the Content or on the Website.
- No Content, logo, trade mark, or copyright material belonging to Story Box Library or featured on the Website, whether registered or unregistered, may be used, reproduced or exploited in any way other than as expressly provided under these Terms and Conditions, without the prior express permission of Story Box Library.
- If you believe that any material on the Website infringes upon any copyright or any other intellectual property right that you own or control, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The agreement between you and Story Box Library will automatically expire if your Subscription expires and is not renewed and you do not continue to access or use the Website as a Visitor, but the Term will continue if your Subscription is renewed or you continue to access or use the Website as a Visitor.
- In the instance that you breach or fail to uphold any provision of these Terms and Conditions, Story Box Library reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to reject, refuse, revoke or otherwise limit your Subscription or to restrict, suspend, or terminate your access to all or any part of the Website and/or the Content at any time, with or without prior notice, and without liability.
- Without limitation to Story Box Library’s general power of termination under section b) above, you acknowledge and agree that Story Box Library may without notice, discontinue (temporarily or permanently) the Website, Content or other services (or any part thereof), or terminate, revoke or otherwise limit your Subscription at any time in the instance that:
- there is a discontinuance to the Story Box Library Website, Content or services;
- there is a material modification to the Story Box Library Website, Content or services;
- there is a technical or security issue or problem;
- you fail to provide the Specified Information, or you provide information that is incomplete, inaccurate or false;
- you fail to pay your Fees as and when they are due, either to Story Box Library or to the applicable Representative;
- you fail to verify your billing details within Story Box Library’s nominated timeframe (which may be required within twenty-four hours); or
- you are subject to an insolvency event such as winding up, dissolution, bankruptcy, arrangement, compromise with or assignment for the benefit of creditors, incapacity to pay debts as and when they fall due, appointment of a receiver and / or manager to any of your assets, or are otherwise insolvent within the meaning of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).
- Upon expiry, revocation, restriction or earlier termination of your agreement with Story Box Library or your access to the Website or the Content:
- your Subscription will automatically lapse;
- your access to the Content shall cease;
- your access to the Website or as a Visitor may be restricted, at Story Box Library’s discretion;
- Story Box Library shall be entitled to retain the Fee, to the extent permitted by law, without limiting their rights in relation to any potential breach of contract;
- you shall not reproduce, transmit, distribute or otherwise provide any third party with any of the Content you accessed during the Term; and
- this section as well as sections 10, 11, 13 and 14 will continue to operate after the Term.
- TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED AT LAW:
- THE STORY BOX LIBRARY WEBSITE, CONTENT AND SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AND WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND ANY WARRANTIES ARISING OUT OF THE COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE;
- WE MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT YOUR USE OF STORY BOX LIBRARY’S WEBSITE OR CONTENT WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, PRODUCE A SPECIFIC RESULT OR BE AVAILABLE ON AN UNINTERRUPTED, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE BASIS, AND WE MAKE NO WARRANTY AS TO THE ACCURACY, TIMELINESS, COMPLETENESS OR RELIABILITY OF ANY CONTENT OBTAINED THROUGH THE STOR BOX LIBRARY SERVICES; AND
- YOUR RELIANCE UPON THE CONTENT OBTAINED OR USED BY YOU THROUGH THE WEBSITE IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. STORY BOX LIBRARY WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE, RESULTING FROM USE OF THE CONTENT OR THE WEBSITE , ANY USER CONTENT POSTED ON OR THROUGH THE WEBSITE, OR FROM THE CONDUCT OF ANY USERS OF THE WEBSITE WHETHER ONLINE OR OFFLINE.
- Content, or any other material or information created and posted by Story Box Library or its Users may contain links to other websites. Story Box Library is not responsible for the content, accuracy or opinions expressed on such websites, and such websites are in no way investigated, monitored or checked for accuracy or completeness by Story Box Library. Inclusion of any linked website on the Website or within the Content does not imply approval or endorsement of the linked website by Story Box Library, and Story Box Library takes no responsibility for third party endorsements. When you access these third-party sites, you do so at your own risk.
- To the fullest extent permitted at law, Story Box Library assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, technical malfunction, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to, or alteration of the Content or the Website, including any injury or damage to Users or to their computer, mobile or other device related to or resulting from participation or downloading materials in connection with the Website or the Content.
- The Website is controlled and offered by Story Box Library from its facilities in Australia. Users who access or use the Website from other jurisdictions are responsible for complying with local laws. We will notify you if we know of any copyright restrictions on any of the Content, which may affect your access to that Content (if applicable).
To the fullest extent permitted at law, except where any loss, liability, claim or demand has been caused or contributed to by an unlawful or fraudulent act or omission by Story Box Library or its assigns, you agree to indemnify and hold Story Box Library, its assigns, and their respective officers, agents, partners and employees, harmless from any claim, loss, damage, liability or demand, including without limitation, reasonable legal fees, arising from a claim by the holder of intellectual property rights in any work or subject matter in relation to your misuse of the Content or the Website, or on the basis that you did not hold appropriate permissions with respect to using materials incorporated in the Content or the Website
15. LIMITATION ON LIABILITY:
- To the fullest extent permitted at law, in no event shall Story Box Library, or any other person or entity involved in creating, developing or delivering the Website or Content be liable to you or any third party for any damages (including without limitation lost profit, indirect, consequential, exemplary, incidental, special or punitive damages) arising from your use or inability to access the Website or the Content, howsoever arising, even if Story Box Library, our licensors, our suppliers, or any third parties associated with the Website or Content have been advised of the possibility of such damages.
- Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, Story Box Library’s liability to you for any cause whatsoever and regardless of the form of the action, will at all times be limited to the amount paid, if any, by you to Story Box Library during the twelve (12) month period of your Subscription prior to the liability arising.
- These Terms and Conditions may not be varied except in a further or updated written instrument provided by Story Box Library, on the Website or otherwise.
- The failure of Story Box Library to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms and Conditions shall not operate as a waiver of such right or provision.
- The headings and section titles in these Terms and Conditions are for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect.
- You may not assign, transfer or otherwise sublicense your rights under these Terms and Conditions.
- Story Box Library reserves the right to amend these Terms and Conditions (together with the Fee and Subscription conditions) at any time and without notice. In such instance, Story Box Library will publish the revised Terms and Conditions on the Website. You acknowledge and agree that it is your responsibility to periodically check the Website to review any such changes.
- These Terms and Conditions shall operate to the fullest extent permissible at law. If any section or part of a section of these Terms and Conditions are determined to be unlawful, void or unenforceable, that section shall be deemed to be severable from these Terms and Conditions, and shall not be deemed to affect the validity and/or enforceability of any remaining provisions.
- These Terms and Conditions shall be governed and interpreted in accordance with the laws of Victoria, Australia, and the parties hereby agree and submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of Victoria.
17. CONTACTING US
(Last updated 14 February 2022)
1. Contacting Us:
- All notices should be sent to email@example.com by email or PO Box 292 Elwood, Victoria 3184, Australia by post.
2. Types of Information:
- “Personal Information” can also include data that is usually non-personally identifiable on its own, such as location data or IP addresses, data about personal attributes or online identifiers, but that taken with other data or information, may identify a natural person either directly or indirectly.
- “Sensitive Information” may include information relating to a person’s racial or ethnic origin, religious beliefs or affiliations, political opinions, philosophical beliefs, health or genetic information, sexual preference, membership of professional or trade associations or unions or criminal record.
- Story Box Library does not generally collect Sensitive Information from users. However, if Sensitive Information is collected, it will only be on the voluntary provision of users with their informed consent. If you do volunteer information to Story Box Library, including Sensitive Information, you are also providing consent for Story Box Library to collect, store and use that information for the purpose of collecting it.
- We collect Personal Information as well as non-personally identifiable information when users visit or register an account (“Account”) with Story Box Library. We collect Personal Information from users in optional, voluntary submissions, including but not limited to:
- Profile information via subscription forms or registrations when you subscribe to, access or use our Website, the App, Content or services;
- If you sign up to our newsletters using your Personal Information;
- If you make contact with us in relation to customer service requests or feedback;
- If you download software or mobile applications for the purpose of accessing our Content or services on mobile applications;
- If you enter competitions or other promotions offered by us by providing your information in response to the entry requirements;
- If you make contact with us for other reasons, for example by submitting your curriculum vitae in the course of making an employment request.
- We also collect data via automatic processes when users visit or access our Website or other digital platforms. We generally collect non-personally identifiable information in these processes, but sometimes the information collected may be personally identifiable. For example:
- We may track activity relating to your interactions with our direct mail communications; and
- We may track activity relating to your interactions with links contained on our Website or in our App.
- Some cookies may be associated with Personal Information about you and some may not. Wherever possible, we anonymise and pseudonymise the information we collect via cookies or other tracking technologies.
- We may also obtain information from third party sources. We may use analytics tools and other third party technologies to collect non-personally identifiable information in the form of various usage and user metrics when you use or access our Website, the App, Content or services. For example, we use Google Analytics features to collect data about traffic to our Website using tracking technologies. The information that is collected is not personally identifiable, and is pseudonymous or aggregated data that does not identify any individual user.
- Third party analytics companies may combine the information collected for us with other information they have independently collected, but we take care to ensure that the information collected for us is pseudonymous or anonymous so that users cannot be identified when the information is combined.
4. Our Use:
- Story Box Library uses Personal Information and non-personally identifiable information to optimise user experience and to enhance our relationship with our users through communication, sharing features, marketing and advertising.
- Story Box Library collects and employs user information, without limitation to:
- Provide users with access to all parts of the Website and the App;
- Enable users to access Content from the Website and the App;
- Confirm order details and process payments;
- Provide users with customer support, respond to users’ requests or seek user opinions or feedback;
- Share communications such as newsletters, process transactions, send updates, receipts and newsletters regarding the subscription services, the Content, the App or the Website and to connect users to Story Box Library services and to the products and services of our partners and licensees;
- Analyse information received from cookies and tracking technologies in order to personalise content and information, provide the most relevant information and services, administer, support and develop the Website and Content and improve the services provided by Story Box Library;
- Prevent abuse and fraud;
- Enable users to share links to Content on third party services (we may need to access and disclose your Personal Information to such third party services if you wish to connect and share our Content via those sites);
- Conduct administrative and internal business purposes;
- Conform to legal requirements or respond to legal processes or orders, whether or not a response is required by applicable law;
- Protect Story Box Library’s rights; or
- Protect the safety of users.
- The third party analytics companies that we use may share pseudonymous or aggregated user data with other measurement companies, in order to analyse and report on it for their clients.
- European Union and European Economic Area: This section is relevant to users in the European Union and the European Economic Area (“EU Users”):
- In accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations, we will not track EU Users’ activity or target EU Users using Personal Information without express consent from applicable users.
- For the avoidance of doubt, Story Box Library does not direct personalised advertising and marketing to any users, including EU Users. This includes tracking activity using Personal Information or targeting users with advertising that uses Personal Information.
5. Tracking Technologies:
- Cookies are small files that are placed on browsers by websites in order to understand users engagement with particular websites. They also store settings and information to facilitate more convenient access and use of web pages that have been previously visited. Cookies do not cause damage to a user’s computer and are not malicious files.
- Please note that if you choose to reject cookies, you may still use our Website, however your access to our Content or some of the functionality and areas of our Website may be restricted.
6. When We Disclose Personal Information:
- Generally, Personal Information will not be disclosed to individuals or organisations outside of Story Box Library without your prior consent. However, Personal Information may be disclosed in the circumstances described in this Section.
- When we do disclose information to third parties, we use non-personally identifiable information wherever possible and we require third parties to only collect and use Personal Information in accordance with this Policy and for no other purpose other than providing us with agreed services.
- We may provide data to our third party service providers for their use in performing internal business functions or collecting information on our behalf. Wherever possible this information is non-personally identifiable, but sometimes it is Personal Information, for example:
- We may provide information to an authorised Story Box Library representative that manages subscriptions on our behalf, such as James Bennett Pty Ltd in relation to Public Library and School subscribers and Lamont Books in relation to School subscribers; or
- We may provide information to publishers or authors and illustrators to demonstrate how Story Box Library’s subscription service operates and who accesses the stories published by them.
- When you use or access parts of our Website, our App or any of our other services for an activity that is part of a partnership or joint promotion or event, you are consenting to provide your collected information to Story Box Library and each of its partners. You acknowledge and agree that Story Box Library’s partners will collect, store and use your Personal Information in accordance with their own privacy policies and you should consult the relevant privacy policies whenever you provide your information in relation to a joint promotion or activity.
- We may disclose user information if we are legally bound to do so, or if in our reasonable opinion, such disclosure is necessary to prevent harm to ourselves, to our partners or affiliates, to other users or to third parties. We will notify users of such disclosure wherever practicable in all such instances.
- In the event that there is a change of ownership, control or interests in Story Box Library (whether as a whole or in part), then the party that attains ownership or control or interest in Story Box Library will obtain access to any existing user information that we store and use. We will make reasonable efforts to notify you by posting a notice on our Website or sending you an email or direct communication.
7. Your Choices - Opting Out:
- Users have a general right to access, edit and manage the collection, processing and use of their Personal Information. Users may opt out of any activity that involves collecting or processing their information for direct marketing purposes. To exercise this right, please refer to the sections below, including the opt out options offered by us and our third party service providers.
- You may opt out or unsubscribe from receiving communications from Story Box Library at any time by changing the settings via a hyperlink in the footer of emails received from Story Box Library.
- Google Analytics – https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
- Google’s AdX– https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads/authenticated?hl=en
- Notwithstanding the opt out options, you agree that by accessing the Website or becoming a subscriber, Story Box Library may still send you relevant administrative notices from time to time.
8. Your Choices – Account Deletion and Editing:
- You may, at any time, update, correct, or delete Personal Information that you have provided to us by updating your preferences on the Account Settings page or by contacting us (per the details under the Contacting Us section at the top of this page). Whenever you are entitled to access such information, and the information is not otherwise accessible by logging into your Account, we will provide such information to you via email or post without charge.
- If you delete your Account or Personal Information, any account data associated with your account will be removed from accessible systems and will no longer be accessed or used by us, unless required by law. Story Box Library will automatically delete your Account, and the Personal Information associated with it, from accessible systems, if you do not log into your Account for three (3) years and do not respond to an email from us providing thirty (30) days to log in in order to keep your Account active. If you are still subscribed to Story Box Library’s newsletter, limited information, such as your name and email address, will be kept in order to continue sending the newsletter out to you.
- If you choose to have an Account with us in the future, you will have to register for a new one, as none of the information previously submitted will be held or saved within your account or in accessible files.
- Story Box Library will take reasonable steps to permanently destroy or de-identify Personal Information if it is no longer needed to provide you with access to any of our Content or services, unless that information is required to be saved under Australian law or other Commonwealth record.
- You are entitled to request that your Personal Information is dealt with by us either anonymously or under a pseudonym.
- If we are not able to remove your Personal Information for any reason, we will notify you of this with an accompanying explanation.
9. When Information Leaves Australia:
- Like many organisations, we use infrastructure and service providers, partners, licensees or suppliers who are based or hosted outside Australia. User information may be disclosed and stored with such third parties, most often in the US or UK, but also globally.
- In the event that we are required to disclose your Personal Information to overseas third parties, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that such disclosures are subject to reasonable confidentiality terms, that the overseas third party is subject to a law or binding scheme that protects your information in a way that, overall, is at least substantially similar to the way in which the Australian Privacy Principles protect your information or that the overseas third party takes steps to prevent a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles in relation to your information.
- We take measures, including the implementation and maintenance of physical, electronic and managerial procedures, in an effort to assure the security, integrity and accuracy of all Personal Information that we collect and to protect your Personal Information from misuse, loss unauthorised access, modification, disclosure or unauthorised access.
- Story Box Library:
- Restricts access to personal information to those employees who need access to perform their job functions;
- Will only collect Sensitive Information where required by law or with the User’s consent and will only use and disclose Sensitive Information for the purpose for which it is provided;
- Will take reasonable steps to ensure that the Personal Information it holds is accurate, complete and up to date;
- If we learn of a security systems breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps.
- We will contact the complaining party regarding their concerns and will cooperate with the appropriate regulatory authorities to resolve any complaints regarding Personal Information that cannot be resolved internally.
- Users in the European Union and European Economic Area have the right to lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority in their member state. We encourage you to contact us first wherever possible, so that we can respond to your concerns. We will do our best to resolve them promptly in accordance with relevant laws and policies.